Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Bible and Facebook

Bored at work while I was waiting for people to assist on chat, I decided to search the internet and stumbled reading articles at ChristianPost website. One article captured me. It is worth sharing. 

May I ask how often do you read your Bible? What about your checking your Facebook?

Those were the ideas or the questions that made me ponder. It was like a lightening that struck straight to my heart. 

Am I reading my Bible more than I get on my Facebook account? Is Facebook a priority more than learning God's word?

After reading the article, I was full of guilt. I felt it was like a slap on my face. I can still even feel it while I am writing this blog post. I feel so ashamed of this occurrence. 

I think there is nothing wrong having a Facebook account. What is wrong is if we drool first hour of the day to check for "Friend Request" or "Notifications". Facebook became our god. We even post our success and failure first on Facebook before we can even thank the Lord. We check our Facebook for hours but we find it boring reading God's word in 15 minutes or less. It is about setting our priorities.

Let us remember that anything that takes your love or your time for Jesus is our idol.

Exodus 20:3-4 "You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on earth beneath or in the waters below."

It is anything that steals our focus in the Lord. It could be money, relationships, car, house, gadgets and even the things we spent time on, like Facebook. This is not just Facebook, it could be Twitter or any social networking sites that pulls you away from the Lord.

I'd be an hypocrite if I will not admit that sometimes I can stay online on Facebook the whole day but sometimes drag by self in reading Bible the last minute before I passed out because of sleepiness.

So this has been my prayer after reading that article.

Lord, please forgive me. Forgive me for being lax in reading your Word, the Bible. I am very sorry that I get on Facebook more often that reading the Bible. I am so embarrassed by this reality. You are so good to me but I failed to please and worship you. Lord, please give me the grace and the joy in reading my Bible more often than checking my Facebook. Please allow me to use Facebook to share your Word and to win souls for you. Please give me the strength to fight the lure of Facebook. Thank you for making me realize I was wrong. I pray for the enlightenment of other Christians that your also guilty of this feat. I ask this and pray in Jesus' name, Amen.

The title of the article is Are You Being Distracted by Facebook?

I am made some progress. I realize that I have not been writing articles for my blog. So instead of spending time staring, liking and commenting on Facebook, I'd rather write blogs about the Lord. 





1 Comments & Reactions here:

N Abram said...

Hiya, fair comment however I like to read encouraging comments or verses from my Christian friends on fb. Also I keep in touch with family and friends..Much love.